Friday 19 August 2016

How to Pick a Career... or Two

Students and others frequently ping me for advice on how to pick a career. While I am humbled by their choice for seeking advice, I share with them my two cents on this subject. I find myself repeating essentially thesame 3 simple principles over and over again. So, I have figured, why not write it up? While I might not say anything conceptually new on this ancient subject, I hope the way I put it is at least interesting, if not useful. Otherwise, my apologies…



Me giving advice on a career choice is a bit tricky. This is because most people would argue that I have changed my career more than once… I got my PhD in theoretical physics from Cornell. My PhD thesis was in string theory. I did a postdoc (Harvard), then until 2002, I was a professor at the C.N. Yang Institute for Theoretical Physics (Stony Brook). 

In 2001 I decided that spending a lifetime as a physics professor would be too limiting. I felt that I had already made sufficiently valuable contribution to physics so I could diversify and expand my horizons.

No comments:

Post a Comment